1. #1 by Lars Juhl Jensen on January 30, 2010 - 4:45 pm

Very interesting post, although I’m not sure that I fully agree that what generally want citations when they ask for attribution.

I completely agree with you that the way to ensure citation is to rely on the gentlemen’s agreement that you cite others when your published work builds upon theirs. However, when someone making a database applies a licenses that enforces attribution, they may simply want to ensure that credit is given where credit is due also when publication is not involved. I think this is quite reasonable behavior, although attribution stacking is an obvious downside.

I also use CC-BY for my blog posts. In this case I ask for attribution, which is exactly what I mean. I do not want to force people to try to put a reference to a blog post into their citations in a paper in case they want to use it as part of a publication. Any kind of attribution is fine with me.

As a small aside, I cannot find any information about which license you use on your blog. As far as I understand copyright law, that means that it defaults to “all rights reserved” – is that really your intention?😉

2. #2 by peanutbutter on February 2, 2010 - 1:30 pm

Lars, I don’t disagree with what you say. The purpose of the post was really to highlight that putting an attribution license on work, does not guarantee that that attribution appears as a journal citation. For example, the attribution may be cited in the code or on the project website. Nothing guarantees/enforces a journal citation. If you want a journal citation, then think twice about putting unnecessary restrictions on your work.

As for my license, I did have a page that stated the license, but it seems to have disappeared when I applied my new site design. I will have to fix this.

3. #3 by Sean on November 6, 2015 - 12:21 am

I find it hilarious that a copyright/attribution article doesn’t properly source its photos. You blatantly stole from Randal Munroe’s webcomic, xkcd.

4. #4 by homepage on January 17, 2016 - 11:20 am

I’ll immediately grasp your rss feed as I can’t to find your
    email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any?
    Please let me understand in order that I may subscribe.
    Thanks.

5. #5 by Sökmotoroptimering on March 11, 2016 - 11:08 pm

Varför min hemsida behöver Sökmotoroptimering?

Ranking SEO

Majoriteten av webbtrafik drivs av de stora kommersiella sökmotorer,
    Google, Bing och Yahoo !. Även sociala medier och andra typer av
    trafik kan generera besök på din hemsida, sökmotorer
    är det primära navigeringsmetod för de flesta Internetanvändare.
    Detta gäller oavsett om din webbplats ger innehåll, tjänster,
    produkter, information eller bara om något annat.

Sökmotorer är unika genom att de ger riktad trafik-människor som
    söker efter vad du erbjuder. Sökmotorer är de vägar som gör detta möjligt.
    Om sökmotorer inte kan hitta din webbplats, eller lägg ditt innehåll till sina databaser, du miste om otroliga möjligheter att driva
    trafik till din hemsida.

Sökfrågor-orden som användarna skriver i sökrutan carry extra värde.

Erfarenheten har visat att sökmotor trafik kan göra (eller bryta) en organisations framgång.
    Riktad trafik till en webbplats kan ge publicitet, intäkter och exponering som ingen annan kanal för marknadsföring.
    Investera i SEO Expert & Sökmotoroptimering kan ha en exceptionell avkastning jämfört med andra typer av marknadsföring och reklam.

6. #6 by cara menanam cabe on April 24, 2016 - 7:39 pm

Hey There. I discovered your weblog the use of msn. That
    is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it
    and return to learn more of your useful info. Thanks for
    the post. I will definitely comeback.

7. #7 by compressore on May 31, 2016 - 10:47 am

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same
    nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

8. #8 by ecommerce solutions provider on June 8, 2016 - 3:59 am

They can appreciate the numerous functioning of the updated site byy obtaining prospective links.

1. Attribution vs Citation: Do you know the difference? « the mind wobbles